Dr. Michael Brisman To Lead Nassau County Medical Society
Michael H. Brisman,
ROCKVILLE, CENTRE, NY, July 1, 2011 – Michael H. Brisman, M.D., F.A.C.S., has been elected to a one-year term as president of the Nassau County Medical Society, effective July 1.
A noted neurosurgeon, Dr. Brisman is a senior partner in Neurological Surgery, P.C.; chief of the Division of Neurosurgery and co-director of the Institute of Neurosciences at Winthrop University Hospital; and co-medical director of The Long Island Gamma Knife and chief of surgical neuro-oncology at South Nassau Communities Hospital.
“I look forward to helping lead the Medical Society in supporting the patients and physicians of Nassau County,” said Dr. Brisman. “This is a time of significant change in health care, and we want to make sure that our members are able to deliver care in the most ethical and evidence-based manner that best serves the needs of our patients.”
Dr. Brisman has served on the Medical Society executive committee and as chair of the Communications and Media committee since 2006. He also serves on the board of directors of the New York State Neurosurgical Society.
Among the issues that Dr. Brisman and the Nassau County Medical Society hope to address in the coming year are:
- Medical liability reform, and liability insurance affordability;
- Legislation to enable independently practicing physicians to collectively negotiate contracts with health plans;
- Managed care reform, including legislation that would preserve patient choice in health plans and ensure fair and timely payment to physicians;
- Ensuring that the issues outlined above, as well as patient access to care under both Medicare and Medicaid and other issues, are addressed as the federal health care reform law (Affordable Care Act) rolls out.
The Nassau County Medical Society strives to preserve the doctor-patient relationship, to assure access to quality medical care for all, and to voice the ethical perspective of physicians in their provision of medical care. Elements of this mission are:
- Advancement of the science, the art and the practice of medicine.
- Elevation of the standards of medical education.
- Maintenance and enhancement of the highest professional standards of physicians.
- Assistance in the preservation of the public health.
- Informing the public about the problems of medicine and health, to serve the best interests of the people of Nassau County, New York.
For more information on the Nassau County Medical Society, and to see a full list of executive committee members, go to: www.nacmed.org.
Dr. Michael Brisman is a board-certified neurosurgeon, specializing in stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery for brain tumors and trigeminal neuralgia, a condition that causes extreme facial pain. He sees patients at Neurological Surgery, P.C. offices in Rockville Centre and Great Neck.